Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Back in the UAE

So, I have now been back for a couple weeks after my 2 week hiatus in the US. A very well balanced trip, including a work conference, family, friends, and you know....American things.

Fast forward to 10 days ago, when I arrived back here. How to describe the weather...Hell-ish? The humidity is at astounding levels now. Combine that with a base of around 105-110 degrees daily, and you get an oven. Literally. I am baking.

And to cope with the surprisingly bad jetlag that I encountered upon returning to Dubai, I turned to the old mainstay, Starbucks. Normally I settle for the office coffee--I'm trying to resist wasting money on things here that I can get at home. Anyway, I go to get a venti iced coffee (I needed the caffeine, let me tell you). She tells me it costs 20 dirhams. That's almost $6 for just plain ole iced coffee. WTF? Thank god I don't get it every day. Also, you all will be happy to know that they know the "fill the cup to the top with ice before pouring coffee" trick so I was totally paying $6 for a whole bunch of ice and some coffee.

And in case you're wondering, I have not heard of ANY Starbucks closing over here. And they're EVERYWHERE. So once again, the Ameri-fication of the world continues. For the record, the UAE is also host to multiple McDonald's, Hardee's, Subway, KFC, Burger King, Papa Johns, Dunkin Donuts, KRISPY KREME (and they deliver), Baskin Robbins, Haagen Dazs, and the list goes on. Yet, I still can't find a decent salad. Shocker.

No comments: